- 72% of Europeans feel “really excited to travel” or “happy to travel” this year; overall, with 71% of Europeans intending to travel during the summer, which represents a +14pts increase compared to 2021.
- Holidaymakers are spending more money this summer: they report a higher travel budget this year than they did in 2021, with average levels increasing around +20pts.This remains lower than pre-pandemics levels.
- This leads to return to a number of pre-COVID travel habits, such as:
- Appeal of travel abroad increasing significantly: 48% (+13pts) of Europeans, 36% (+11pts) of Americans and 56% (+7pts) of Thais intend to travel abroad this summer. Nevertheless, domestic travel remains at higher level than 2019 in almost all the countries.
- City adventures are popular again: they appear as the most popular type of destination for North Americans.
- Hotels continue to be the preferred choice for accommodation (52% of holidaymakers in US, 46% / +9pts in Europe) while vacation rentals remain attractive (30% in Europe, 20% in USA).
- Air travel is back: Europeans will use their car less than last year (55%, -9pts) and favor air travel (33%, +11pts). Same goes for Americans, in more balanced proportions (48%, -7pts vs 43%, +5pts).
- People are back to planning vacation ahead of time, rather than leaving it till last minute: only 22% of Europeans are not yet decided (-10pts vs last year).
- COVID-19 is no longer the first concern for European and North American travelers, overpassed by both inflation and personal / family reasons concerns.
- Concerns about inflation and price increases are much present in peoples’ mind: financial considerations are mentioned as one of the main reasons not to travel by 41% of Europeans who won’t be going on a trip this summer (+14pts vs 2021), 45% of Americans (+9pts) and 34% of Thais (+10pts).
- With an ever-growing awareness of travel-related cancellations and health concerns, Covid-19 has transformed travel insurance purchases into a durable trend that should continue well beyond the pandemic period.
You might also like
Recover your password.
A password will be e-mailed to you.
- LOGIN / SIGN UP
- Partner articles
- Industry appointments
- Travel Bloggers
- Podcasts – Features
- TRAVEL GUIDES
- จุดหมายปลายทาง นาจอมเทียน หาดบ้านอำเภอ บางเสร่ *NEW*
- Destination NaJomtien BanAmphur BangSaray *NEW*
- South Australia Reward Wonders *NEW*
- Ponant Yacht Cruises and Expeditions
- Encore Tickets (Chinese Guide)
- Affordable Luxury in Thailand by Centara Hotels
- Rising Above the Oridinary by Conrad Bangkok
- The Best of Thailand
- MERGERS & ACQUISITION