Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced today the opening of Alila Kothaifaru Maldives, a private island retreat located in the picturesque Raa Atoll at the northern edge of the Maldives. The all-pool-villa resort offers a refreshing blend of serenity and discovery in a relatively untouched corner of the archipelago renowned for its abundant marine life.
“As countries continue to open up and travel confidence grows, we look forward to welcoming guests from all over the world to Alila Kothaifaru Maldives for a memorable getaway in what we hope will become the centerpiece of Raa Atoll,” said David Udell, group president, Asia-Pacific, Hyatt. “We are delighted to add this beautiful resort in the Maldives to our growing Alila portfolio, with new Alila hotels opening in sought-after destinations such as Suzhou and Shanghai in China and Nha Trang in Vietnam in the future.”
Surrounded by Nature’s Wonders
Housed on a 27.6 acre (11.2 hectare) island, Alila Kothaifaru Maldives can be reached via a 45-minute seaplane journey from Malé. As one of the deeper atolls in the archipelago, the Raa Atoll offers abundant snorkeling and diving options to discover its rich marine life, from colourful corals to manta rays and sharks. The resort offers easy access to the famous Hanifaru Bay UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve and is close to Vaadhoo Island, one of the best spots to witness the spectacular ‘Sea of Stars’ phenomenon. Alila Kothaifaru Maldives features white-sand beaches overlooking the infinite expanse of ocean blue, a stunning house reef and lush greenery.
Private Island Sanctuary
Alila Kothaifaru Maldives offers 80 pool villas, of which 44 are along the beach and 36 are perched overwater with direct access to the sea. Guests can unwind in these understated, sophisticated spaces that balance privacy with openness to the outdoors. Each villa comes with a private pool and sun deck where guests can bask in picture-perfect views and enjoy personalized service whether they are staying steps from the beach or above the turquoise lagoon. The Sunrise Beach Villas offer early birds captivating views to start their day alongside quick access to the resort’s main facilities such as the infinity pool, Play Alila kids’ club, Seasalt restaurant and Mirus Bar.
The resort’s elegant minimalist architecture by Singapore-based Studiogoto encompasses terraced pavilions, villas and a treetop spa that are carefully integrated into the existing landscape to immerse guests in the picturesque natural surroundings. The low-rise structures and contemporary interiors feature open-air spaces and a calming palette of island-inspired colours and textures, creating an idyllic setting for complete relaxation and connection with nature.
Immersive Culinary Journeys
Alila Kothaifaru Maldives offers a delightful variety of culinary experiences including:
- Seasalt, the resort’s beachside all-day dining restaurant with an ocean view, serves coastal Mediterranean cuisine with Middle Eastern influences. Not to be missed are the restaurant’s signature salt-baked fish dishes.
- A spectacular Maldivian sunset alongside a refreshing selection of cocktails at Mirus Bar inspired by the region’s former spice trade routes and concocted with ingredients from the resort’s own herb garden.
- Umami offers Japanese-inspired menus prepared in a teppan theater with a premium selection of organically grown vegetables, Wagyu beef and sustainably sourced fish and seafood. The adjourning Yakitori Bar is the place to be to indulge in sundowners, from Asian-inspired craft cocktails and mocktails to fine Japanese sakes and spirits, amidst delicious smoky aromas from a robata grill.
- Pibati Café provides light bites and comfort food that are convenient for grab-and-go en route to an excursion.
- Guests dreaming of an ultimate castaway experience can set sail in a traditional Maldivian dhoni on a two to three-hour journey around the Raa Atoll before returning to the resort’s private sandbank, The Shack, a secluded spot for a gourmet picnic, a sunset barbecue or a romantic candlelit dinner under the stars.
Haven for Relaxation
Nestled just above the treetops, Spa Alila features four double treatment suites, all with a private bathroom, shower and a floor-to-ceiling window with verdant views. Guests can indulge in rejuvenating treatments and beauty rituals that put a contemporary spin on ancient healing techniques and draw on the benefits of natural ingredients. Guests can also enjoy a complimentary daily yoga session in a tranquil outdoor space within the spa. The resort also offers a 24-hour fitness centre and a beachfront infinity pool.
A wide range of water activities and excursions organized through the expert marine guides at the resort’s Water Sports and Dive Center is also available while Play Alila, a dedicated play and learning space for young guests will keep them entertained with toys, games and fun, supervised indoor and outdoor activities.
From barefoot chic to elegant sophistication, couples can tie the knot or renew their vows with an enchanting celebration set in tropical splendour, whether on a pristine palm-fringed beach with the glistening ocean as a backdrop or on the private sandbank at sunset followed by a bespoke dinner under the stars.
“We are honoured to welcome guests to one of the world’s most blissful destinations and we look forward to sharing with them the awe-inspiring nature that surrounds us,” said Alexandre Glauser, general manager, Alila Kothaifaru Maldives. “Here at our all-pool-villa sanctuary, guests can unwind in peaceful seclusion with charming views while our gracious hosts deliver personalized experiences leading to unique moments and treasured memories.”